Monday, October 1, 2007

The B-I-B-L-E....

The B-I-B-L-E, yes that's the Book for me! I stand alone on the Word of God, the B-I-B-L-E!!!!

I have been surpised at the humbling direction my studies have taken me of late. I am having to re-work, not my theology so much, as perhaps my application. And even then, more the internal application....

That the Scriptures are breathed out by God I have never doubted. That they are inspired, absolutely. That I believe in "sola scriptura" - of course. But, that God's Word is all-sufficient, to meet every need, is an area I did not even realise I was struggling with, until the last few weeks.

I am working through this in part because of my study at church, in part because of a message preached yesterday, and in part because of the deliciously "ironic" timing of covering the same material in another book I just cracked open (I LOVE when God re-iterates His truth in multiple locations simultaniously!!) Jay Adams says that: "The Bible's position is that all counsel that is not relational (biblical), or based upon God's revelation, is Satanic." Yikes! I have allowed myself the sin of thinking the world more shades of gray than it is.... It is so black and white at times! We just don't always like the sound of white....

It's the irony, I suppose, of totally trusting everything the Bible says, and yet not reading it enough to catch verses like: 2 Corinthians 9:8 "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work." Or that, even when reading it, missing the implications. All sufficiency, in all things, at all times.... I do not live like that! I call my best friend, my sister, my husband for advice before I turn to the Helper, the Counselor, the Only wise God. Shame on me, for trusting the errancy of man, when I have God's breath on paper! Maybe it is the accessibility that makes it so last-resort.... I have at least five versions on my shelf, and a few copies of most. I think nothing of buying another Bible - the Book that men and women have died for! Excuses.... it is nothing less than faith smaller than a mustard seed. Faith that trusts man's way. Maybe I do live, sinfully, as though "all truth is God's truth", instead of "God's Word is truth." As though sinful man has been imparted with some wisdom from above. I have given too much credence to those who are dead in their trespasses and sins.

This ties into much weightier matters, I think, of not really appreciating how very, very much man NEEDS God, before he needs anything else. So often, the system, as corrupt as it is, seems to be working. My non-Christian friends are by far easier to talk to without judgement, easier to be at ease with. Many of them seem to have their relationships on track, their finances in order - they don't seem to need God. Forgetting the image of God holding each over the pit of hell - how it is only by His grace and mercy we are not all cast off as His enemies and damned.

And, sometimes I just get lazy. In many ways, it is easier to go to authors who have dealt with the issues, than it is to wrestle with the truths myself. That also stems from an erroneous belief that God is willing to impart more wisdom to them, than to me. James 1:3 "If any of you lacks widom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reporach, and it will be given him." If we treat the Gospel as some great mystery, we are short-changing the blessedness of the wisdom of God, and doubting His willingness to teach us, if we but ask in faith for guidance. That I might rest in His promises! He will impart wisdom! The Bible is sufficient! I need nothing more in life to please Him - than His Spirit, imparted at the moment of regeneration, and the blessed words between Genesis and Revelation....

No comments: