Monday, August 20, 2007

All to the glory of God.

Only let each person lead
the life that the Lord has
assigned to him, and to
which God has called him.

1 Corinthians 7:10

I think that
alot of times it is easy to justify what I do. I mean, it is tough raising three little ones. They are so busy! I was not called to be a missionary (not yet at least) and am quite happy being the sender. I have given myself the freedom to be a "good" Christian, but not always a passionate-about-God one.

That changes - when you get in the Word. When you read passages like the one above, when you realise that a calling is not always a calling to go abroad. Sometimes it is a calling to stay home, to be a blessing to your husband; to love your children, to set an example to your neighbours.

I am blessed with a wonderful home, with my health, with a husband who provides, because God has so greatly supplied. But how I waste it! Oh! That I might live the life assigned to me in a manner that glorifies the Lord in everything I do. "Whether we eat, or drink, or whatever we do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Cor. 10:31) How is that possible? One way Piper puts it is that "the essence of our work as humans must be that it is done in conscious reliance on God's power." (Don't waste your life - pg 141) He also says that "God delights in being trusted and enjoyed." (pg 138) I think... perhaps... I can start there. I can pick up my broom, and thank Him for the health that He has supplied. I can pray for my sick uncle as I sweep. And when the house feels disastrous, I can rejoice in the children that are crazy-healthy enough to make the mess. I can thank Him for this amazing home He has given me.

May He be honored in what I do! May I scrub toilets, make meals, change sheets in a way that says, not only "thank You", but "Lord, You mean more than this - may You be my bread, my fountain, my Rock." I want to delight in Him as I go about my day - to remember that the steadfast love of the Lord is better than life. May I live today, at home, for Him.

No comments: