Friday, August 31, 2007

With no Regrets.

May I stand at Golgatha, and weap. May I remember, daily, what His blood bought for me. Why does it not break our hearts?

We talk about living each day to its fullest. We talk about living every day as though it were our last. But we can not spend every day in Paris, or laying down and kissing our babies (they would not hold very still anyways). We can not weap and cry and mourn the missed opportunities. There are not enough moments in a day for regret.... and would not regret defeat the purpose of His blood anyways? Jonathan Edwards got it... John Piper gets it. Edward's list of resolutions, written before he was even twenty, are testimony to what it looks like not waste a moment. He wrote about 70, these ones struck me:

Resolved:
5. Never to lose one moment of time, but to improve it in the most profitable way I can.
6. To live with all my might, while I do live.
17. That I will live so, as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.
22. To endeavor to obtain for myself as much happiness in the other world as I possibly can, with all the power, might, vigor, and vehemence, yea violence, I am capable of, or can bring myself to exert, in any way that can be thought of.

"Down time"... I do alot of that, really well. And never feel quite so fulfilled, or content, as on the days when I tidy the kitchen in the evening, or spend the afternoon in my Bible. The most energy I experienced this week was the day I got up early to pray....

The days FLY by... and I know I have wasted so many moments. I think time is alot like money... "pinch a penny, save a dollar" or something like that. Maybe if I checked my computer one or two less times in the morning, and memorized Scripture instead. Maybe if I made one less trip into Sarnia in the week, and read my Bible for those 40 minutes instead. Oh! I want to be useful for the Kingdom, and I can not be, if I waste my days, my moments, my minutes.

We are scared, are we not, of thinking too often on eternity? Like we can delay its coming by filling our lives up with fluff. Life is so short! May I live each second eternally minded, so that when I do stand before the throne, and plead His blood, I can say "I lived for YOU, and You alone Lord - and although I am saved by nothing within me, I aimed to live without wasting the moments...."

No comments: