Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Reminding God of His promises.

But the steadfast love of the LORD is
from everlasting to everlasting on
those who fear Him,
and His righteousness to children's children,
to those who keep His covenant
and remember to do His commandments.
Psalm 103:17,18

The thought of having children is always overwhelming. The thought of bringing children in this world, who may eventually rebel, and not know God for eternity, takes my breath away. There was nothing that more deeply impacted me as I was pregnant, and one of those thoughts that clings to my soul when I kiss their sleeping faces as I head to bed. O God - save them!

It is not in my hands. Oh - I am not negating my responsibility as a mom. This does not mean I can live a carnal, angry life, and expect them to draw near to God, since it is not up to me. I strive to live a life that glorifies God, a life that they view as glorifying God. They are always watching and listening, aren't they? It is everything from being productive with my day (whether you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God) to trying to learn Bible verses with them (Jeremiah 33:3 is good for us all!) I want to have a conscience clean before them and God - that says I raised them up in the way they should go.

But, it is up to God. My Dad told my Mom, when they were expecting me, that it was a good time to start praying for elect children. My Mom said "We can't do that!" and my Dad replied "Of course we can!" And they did. And God answered. With all three of their children who follow God.

And so, I look at my three, and pray the same. But, I also remind God of His Word. Pray His word - say "LORD, You have said.... You said you would save children's children...." And He answers, by entering the heart of my four year old. And, I know that He who began a good work in him will be faithful to complete it. I anticipate great things for them - that Judah's passion, and eventually Levi and Trinity's passions will be directed towards God. That He would, in His mercy and grace, save my children, and that I might enjoy an eternity with them.

2 comments:

Sue said...

aaaah you have all of a sudden updated like fifty times..i am sooo behind...how will i catch up with all the reading....oooh dear.

well...glad to have this to read...it will just take me a while to get through it all! :) haha.

love you girl.

Nicole said...

Thanks for the never-ending encouragement Susan!