Thursday, June 21, 2007

Truth resounds with truth

What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will
be done,
and there is nothing new under the
sun.
Ecclesiastes 1:9


Solomon says this with weariness and monotony. He is frustrated at the repetition of life. But, as I am reading "Whatever Happened to the Gospel of Grace" and I get to the chapter on God's glory, there, in print, is a quote of Piper that I had underlined only a couple of weeks ago in "God's Passion for His Glory".

Piper is actually, in his book, merely writing a footnote on the Edwards portion of his book (the latter half of "God's Passion for His Glory" is Edwards "The end for which God created the world." But I loved the footnote enough to underline the itty-bitty footnotey print, and apparently I am not the only one who thinks them worth reading.... The THRILL! of finding truths echoed and re-echoed in my readings! The joy in discovering that God is the same, yesterday, today and forever! (Hebrews 13:8)

The short version of what was appearing in multiple readings was the discussion about "What is the chief end of man?" (Westminster Shorter Catechism) the answer: "Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever" (Piper would say BY enjoying Him forever, not AND enjoy Him forever) It is essentially moving from a man-centered view of life, to a God-centered one. And John Piper says this shift is the "continental divide" in theology. "If you really believe this, all rivers of your thinking run toward God. If you do not, all rivers run toward man. Settling this issue is worth many nights of prayer and months of study." (God's Passion for His Glory, pg 141)

Back to Ecclesiastes. Nothing new under the sun... sometimes that sounds boring, repetitive. And sometimes, it offers the greatest peace. This is not the first time I have multiple books on the go, nor the first time I have just finished a book and begun a new one, only to find verses, quotes, or thoughts that are repeating themselves. And oftentimes, the books have nothing to do with one another. Bonhoeffer's "The cost of Discipleship" and Spurgeon's "Being God's Friend" sounded remarkably alike in places. What I am learning about God are truths that have been loved by men long ago. Truth, enjoyed by theologians in many different ages. And I get goose-bumps when I see God revealing His truths to me! He is tattooing His words on my heart, and I praise Him for it! How unworthy am I!

I love that God does not need to be shrouded in mystery. I love the affirmation of finding truths about Him in author after author; when God affirms His teachings in my heart with this legacy and heritage of writers - Piper, Edwards, Boise, Spurgeon, Bonhoeffer, and ultimately the Bible....

No comments: